Wednesday, September 5, 2012

With Friends Like Her...

Grrr... I am really frustrated today. I have a "friend" who has made it her mission in life to make sure I know that she doesn't agree with a lot of my parenting decisions. This friend and her husband have taken permanent steps to remain child-free - so he has no first-hand parenting experience of her own. Not that that makes her opinions invalid, but untried to say the least.

I chose not to breastfeed. Gasp! Shocking, I know. It was a well thought-out and researched decision. She thought I was being selfish and uneducated. You know, because she has experience... oh no, that's right, she's basing that on the few articles she's read and the fact that her only other friend who has a baby did it! So therefore she knows what's best for me, Bug and my husband. Wow, now that's some super-power.

I chose to put Bug on a very set schedule right from the start. You know, how lots and lots and lots of parenting books/experts recommend. How dare I have a nap and eating schedule for him so that his days are consistent and I know he's getting the rest and nutrition he needs? Because you know who knows what's really best for my child. Oh, but that's really because she's mad that I refuse to go out to dinner after 7... seeing as Bug's bedtime is 7:30.

She has about another dozen examples of how I've made poor parenting decisions. And she has taken it upon herself to proclaim another friend of ours the "better" mother. What's funny is that our other friend argues with me this morning as I was ranting and said I was by far the better mother! I disagreed, because really there is no such thing (barring moms who neglect/abuse, that's inexcusable)... I believe that, by and large, moms are doing their best and trying their hardest.

I don't want to be titled the "better mother," I just don't want to be put down because I made different decisions. Bug is a happy, healthy child who is social and growing and learning. I'm happy with that. I jokingly proclaimed his first year a success because I was able to keep him alive!

Women can be really hard on each other, and it's so frustrating and infuriating to watch let alone be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment